Recent comments

• Reply to: Nymphing Without An Indicator   9 months 1 week ago

One good reason not to use indicator is that... it can be forbidden!

• Reply to: Fly fishing leader material   9 months 2 weeks ago

I am a fan of Maxima and have used it to make leaders for many years but would like to add a word of caution. I use a micrometer to check diameter of every spool of material I buy and over many years, Maxima's diameters has been very inconsistent (diameter understated between .002 and .003 in heavier lb. test). Might not sound like a lot but unless you check, you're leader will be far heavier than you thought.

• Reply to: Inexpensive materials   9 months 2 weeks ago

Leonard,

It's quite true that the synthetics we use as fly tyers and fishermen will most likely add to the vast amount of plastic and other synthetics that litter the world - including micro plastics. I'm not quite on the wagon with tying using natural materials only, but I certainly do think about the nasty footprints we set on this planet - and anglers and as consumers.

In fishing as well as in all other matters I try to recycle, make sure I treat waste properly and limit my use of plastics, but it's still very tempting to add some color and flash to a fly using some of the many materials shown here.

Martin

• Reply to: Inexpensive materials   9 months 2 weeks ago

Great article and there’s certainly a wide choice of inexpensive materials available today however are these same materials adding to the micro plastics problem that does pose a very real threat to fisheries and the environment?

• Reply to: My Eyes!!   9 months 2 weeks ago

Ive used different size nail heads to do this job. I set the nails into a wooden handle and ended up with a set of four in sizes I use the most.
    But I will try the dowel trick to see if I prefer it.
    thanks Bob

• Reply to: Deer Hair Hackle Dry Fly   9 months 3 weeks ago

Thank you Michael!!!... for this demonstration of ingenuity, knowledge of material propertys and wisdom. Simple and definitely Effective!

• Reply to: A heartfelt thank you!   10 months 6 days ago

Eric,

Sure I do promote older material now and then, but there's also new material coming out. Not as much as I'd like, but certainly some.

Published until now in January:

Published in December 2020:

You can see an overview over all publishing activity here:

I'm constantly trying to add new reviews, articles, patterns, galleries, videos and such, but I'm a one man show and depend on others to contribute if I am to increase the frequency of new articles.

Martin

• Reply to: A heartfelt thank you!   10 months 1 week ago

Hi - I love the site and I am concerned about the future of it. All of my favorite posts are several to many years old. Is this site going to continue bringing wonderful articles, fly recipes, photos, and other information? I hope it will - I only recently found it and I don't want to lose it.

• Reply to: Foam Body Unsinkable Olive Elk Hair Caddis   10 months 3 weeks ago

Very nice and eficient fly
    Albert

• Reply to: Twined or furled leaders   10 months 3 weeks ago

Hi , this might be a long shot but I’m looking to get in touch with a mr Ian Warrilow who made a comment on this post please.
    I bought a used 2 piece fly rod with his name and date the rod was built on it in 92 . It’s a beautiful rod that he built but would like some more information on the rod .

Many thanks
    Spencer

• Reply to: Green Highlander   10 months 3 weeks ago

Dear Steve, ... please enlighten me, which of the original components of Green Higlander, which in 2014 celebrated 100 years since its public appearance in Dr. Pryce Tannatt's book, ”How to Dress Salmon Flies” (1914), -Did you keep it very close to the original, so that what you present to us here can be entitled to bear this name of honor? If you ask me, none, ... and what I see is a variation on the green theme, which to prevent it from getting lost in the grass on the river bank, has a little orange and a yellow hackel. Please, below, on the GFF home page, you have the pictures of a Green Higlander that respects the proportions and components of the original. After comparing what you presented with what you see in those pictures, please come back and give me an answer.

• Reply to: Fly tying lamps   10 months 3 weeks ago

Recently saw this video on Youtube illustrating how to make a flex arm lamp using a LED panel: it's surprisingly inexpensive. https://youtu.be/JL3uZ88vA_0
    I've filed this on away just in case; my 30 year old Giraffe lamp with an LED bulb is still a terrific light source and no where near the end of its useful life.

Pages