Recent comments

• Reply to: Does anyone proofread this crap?   10 months 3 weeks ago

Raske,

So true... amazing how we can provide free content and spend hours, days, weeks and years of work on it, and still there will be someone bitching in the most unappreciative way.
    I mostly just brush the critics off - unless they are constructive - but sometimes I feel the need to reply.

Martin

• Reply to: Does anyone proofread this crap?   10 months 3 weeks ago

Well done brother Martin...some people are never satisfied...perhaps they're looking for a subscription refund? Oh wait...GFF is free isn't it?

• Reply to: Turkey, Greece, fly fishing?   10 months 4 weeks ago

Hi Feridun, I don't know if you check this site anymore of if you are still around. I am coming to Turkey in one week to try to find some good fly fishing. There is not much information on the internet, so your post above is the only piece of hope I have. I'm from a small mountain town in the west of the US called Sun Valley, and I love fly fishing. Please let me know if you can help. My email is bowenwilliams2012@gmail.com. Thank you!

• Reply to: Autumn Fly   11 months 1 day ago

@Martin & Allan
    An excellent article! ... as a whole. The pictures contribute very well to the atmosphere (I felt the taste of the sea water in my mouth and the smell of the freshly applied headcement), and the elegance of these presented flies, just embellish the overall impression. From my point of view, it is the best article written by you guys. Thank you !!! ... you made my eyes happy and you made my soul as a fly fisherman to sing and dance.

• Reply to: Tiger Spider ("Argiope ...   11 months 2 days ago

This is Wasp Spider, not Tiger Spider (Scytodes globula)

• Reply to: Trophy rainbows in Slovakia   11 months 4 days ago

I admit that fly fishing is an extremely interesting and addictive hobby and the passion of those who practice it shows us the wide range of people's creativity. But what is the essence of this occupation that fascinates all practitioners is to trick a fish into grabbing an artificial creation, in many cases a creation of their own hands. It is a long process that begins in front of the vise and ends with the catching of an artificial fly by a fish. The road to the tackes is and must remain the ultimate pleasure.

That I can explain and understand many of people's obsessive fixations, which can sometimes lead to bigotry, does not exclude the fact that fanatics generally lack balance in their personal lives. But in many cases, it is a fanaticism disguised by the interest for economic gain and then the "passion" is the subject of a well-argued exposure in the public space. A marketing (which we already know very well how much truth it contains) to attract attention and capture the interest of those who have the opportunity to finance a fad. Now that it's a Swiss watch that costs as much as a house for ordinary people, a special car brand, an exclusive wine bottle, a smart phone dressed in svarowschi crystals or diamonds, a yacht ... or a trophy fish , it doesn't really matter.

Dear confreres, keep fly fishing simple, enjoy the road to the tackings and the creation process. Not to mention that just being on the edge of a gin clear river in the middle of a wonderful nature is a blessing. As in many other human activities, size does not matter. A trophy fish is in many cases a matter of personal interpretation. For me, for example, it can be a 0.500g chub in a 3m wide stream, which I fallow for hours, sometimes days, so that in the end I manage to trick him into taking the fly presented with a # 1 -2 fly fishing rod, or a 1-2kg sea trout parked in a Scandinavian pool, almost impossible to approach with a fishing rod. The more complicated the situation, the greater the desire to overcome all obstacles. Greetings to all of you. Pierre

• Reply to: Does anyone proofread this crap?   11 months 5 days ago

Martin,
    I truely admire your patience - what an answer! In german there is a word for such people - I'm afraid it's "Klugscheisser" (may he look for translation&meaning himself) Keep on rolling with your superb work! All the best, aª

• Reply to: Red Frances   11 months 2 weeks ago

Eiður,

You are so right! My bad. I put the wrong label on the fly. I fished the Snælda many times and should know the difference.
    Thanks.

Martin

• Reply to: Red Frances   11 months 2 weeks ago

This isn't "Red Snælda". This is the Red Frances

• Reply to: Building a Better Bugger   11 months 3 weeks ago

I tie my buggers very similar to this but prefer to add a wire rib. The wire is tied in just before the chenille is tied in. Then after Palmering the hackle back, use the wire to tie down the hackle and then continue spiral wrapping it all the way up to the bead. This method thus makes it unnecessary to wrap the thread back over the chenille prior to wrapping the hackle. Also, the wire is a little more robust at holding down the hackle versus having exposed thread wraps doing it.

• Reply to: Soft Hackle Holographic Spider   11 months 3 weeks ago

The holographic tinsel looks more like opalescent tinsel to me. Is it Flashabou, perhaps?

• Reply to: Grey Wulff variant   1 year 1 day ago