Recent comments

• Reply to: Hot melt glue   6 months 3 weeks ago

I’d say it is in general between 110°C/230°F and 200°C/392°F. When I tie flies with hot glue, I normally prefer as high temperature as possible, when I purchase a hot glue gun it should be rated 220°C/428°F to 230°C/446°F. But there is a big difference in melting temperatures of commonly available hot/melt glues and how runny the get at a given temperature. I used to tie/make shrimp flies for the salt with hot glue combined with "Super hair" or "Ultra hair". It was a quicker and practical alternative to epoxy, that always set without sticky surface, smell and the melt glue on its on actually floats, which i not a bad thing for lot's of fly designs.

• Reply to: Muddler   6 months 3 weeks ago

A very nicely done video. Beautifully photographed and displayed. Speaking is not necessary unless there is a special tecnique that requires some explanation. I always like to see a list of materials in tying videos. Keep up the good work.

• Reply to: Alan (Alberta Al) Grombacher   7 months 1 week ago

Personally contact me, please.

Vern

• Reply to: Thunder & Lightning   7 months 3 weeks ago

@flytyer57
    Why do you think I started this Thunder & Lightening discussion? A demonstration of how smart I am? I guarantee you that the answer is NO! I don't think I need to prove anything to you. ... and then I ask you again, why? I was waiting for a concrete reaction from you, which would materialize in something visible, but maybe you didn't understand why I commented. Maybe now you understand that I tried to suggest something with my intervention. :)

• Reply to: Streamers 365 joins the Global FlyFisher!   7 months 4 weeks ago

Tom,

It was an offer I couldn't resist as it's said in a famous film...

When Darren reached out there wasn't much doubt in my mind, and even though the conversion was a fairly tough job, the result is great, and a valuable resource is preserved online.

Martin

• Reply to: Streamers 365 joins the Global FlyFisher!   8 months 21 hours ago

Hello Martin: I think this is wonderful that you undertook this colossal merger and helped preserve all this beautiful information and keep it accessible for all of us. Thank you very, very much!
    Tom

• Reply to: Trevor Morgan   8 months 3 weeks ago

Dan,

I have no idea where to find Trevor Morgan's Javelin lines these days. I have lost contact with him many years ago, and can't find anywhere online where they are sold.

Sorry to be of so little help, but it seems like a dead end.

Martin

• Reply to: Trevor Morgan   8 months 3 weeks ago

I have a Trevor Morgan 7 wt single hand line and because I used it to cast bigger flies into a new area code, I started popping sections of my running line. I lone this line a lot. It lasted a really long time. However, I need another one badly. Where can I get one? Take my money please.

• Reply to: Fly Tying Thread Table   9 months 3 weeks ago

Darrel,

All the threads that have actual measures in millimetres have been measured by me. That gives me a pretty good confidence in the results, but of course with all the factors mentioned in this section regarding measuring the thickness of tying thread. It can - rightfully - be debated if these measures are the actual diameters of the threads, but the fact is that they are what I found using a consistent method and measuring all threads in several places - and from several spools if possible.

The whole point of this table and the article is to point out that almost any label on any thread has no direct connection with the actual thickness of the threads. Deniers, aughts and other designations simply don't compare to the physical thickness - oftentimes not even within the same brand. So it was no surprise to me finding two UTC threads, one "heavier" than the other, and the heavier one measuring as thinner than the light one.

Martin

• Reply to: Fly Tying Thread Table   9 months 3 weeks ago

How confident are you with the diameters listed for the UTC 210 and 280 denier threads? By definition, the 280 is a "heavier" thread but the diameter is listed at 0.069 while the diameter of the 210 is larger at 0.081. That seems odd because they are both made with the same nylon construction.

• Reply to: Wet Flies   9 months 3 weeks ago

Great article. Just started tying wet flies, after reading George Barron’s book. This article has added another dimension to my tying. Thanks

• Reply to: Betters' Flies   10 months 34 min ago

Hi - I fly fish for westslope cutthroat in the east kootenays; and these Betters' patterns are some of my go-tos. I've long wanted a copy of his out-of-print book on his patterns. Perhaps Stackpole or some other outdoors oriented publisher would do a run?? Thanks for the post.

Pages