Recent comments

• Reply to: Worms for bass   1 year 11 months ago

Do you have the recipe for those braided rubber flies? What materials are the made of? Thanks!

• Reply to: The March Brown Legacy   1 year 11 months ago

Many years ago Jiri Klima (the river god) invited me to fish with him in the Czech Republic and he showed me March browns with brass beads and how they fish it down stream in a combination of wet fly and Czech nymph style.

• Reply to: The African fly connection   1 year 11 months ago

I choose to comment on this post to at least guide the readers here considering that I am from the region and the industry under scrutiny. Fishing flies are produced in Kenya and exported to the west but not without its challenges posed by both buyers and sellers. They include quality issues, duration of delivery as well as payment issues. Before buying large quantities, first request a sample of an assortment of flies for quality assessment, duration of delivery will in most cases be affected by the availability of the materials locally as well as the complexity or simplicity of the patterns requested. Payment issues also arise as buyers sometimes remit payment to just tiers who have no registered company, no website and no production capacity. In such a case money is lost. Some buyers don't pay for delivered orders and again money is lost.

• Reply to: Don't tie flies   2 years 4 days ago

While this comment is for the more seasoned tiers, a good tying area is very helpful. Once you find yourself immersed in the art, you will be up to your ears in material. Having a place to store your material close at hand with a good surface is priceless. I've seen a lot of good options but personally, I love my TieCraft Desk. Integrated bobbin storage, built in waste baskets and storage close by is great. Plus, my wife isn't yelling at me about my messy desk :D

• Reply to: Comparadone!   2 years 5 days ago

Brady,

That's absolutely right, and it also says in the article in one of the captions: "A finished Trailing Shuck Comparadun or commonly called a Sparkle Dun.", so you are quite right.

Martin

• Reply to: Comparadone!   2 years 5 days ago

Wouldn't this variation using the Antron tail be a Sparkle Dun rather than a Comparadun?

• Reply to: Fish Art for the Stars   2 years 2 weeks ago

Mr. Bob Witzel's paintings are very beautiful, he is seen to be a great fisherman and a good fan of watercolors. This is also something that happens to me, fishing and drawing ... thanks for sharing a hug to everyone.

• Reply to: Does anyone proofread this crap?   2 years 3 weeks ago

Thanks Martin for the calm, reasoned reply to this complaint. I just want to enjoy the wide array of content on GFF with my morning coffee, not put up with CRAP complaints. There is frost on the pumpkin here in Ontario, Canada this morning so my thoughts are turning to Steelhead fishing and tying flies. Keep up the good work for your truly Global audience.

• Reply to: Does anyone proofread this crap?   1 year 11 months ago

Does anyone proofread this crap? After reading the first 2 sentences, I could not stand to read anymore of this garbage. Shame on the author and shame on Global Fly Fisher for posting this crap.

• Reply to: These videos will make you a better fly tyer   2 years 1 month ago

what a fantastic resource for novice (and experienced) fly tyers, thanks a lot for all the effort you've clearly invested in planning, shooting, editing and publishing these videos. kind regards from the Netherlands, Onno

• Reply to: CDC & Partridge Caddis   2 years 1 month ago

I just wanted to say thanks for sharing one of my videos.
    I am very glad you liked it (cdc and partridge caddis, by oholis flies).
    Best regards

Vladimir

• Reply to: Flies Photo Gadget v2.0   2 years 1 month ago

Richard,

These were shot with a DSLR, my Nikon D300s mounted with an old 55mm macro. I have experimented with both my phone, a compact camera and my SLR's, but since I want the best possible image quality, the SLR's are my favorites to used with the gadget. But as you can see in the review of the previous version, even phone pictures can come out nice.

Martin