Recent comments

• Reply to: Thunder & Lightning   1 year 8 months ago

Sorry, but is not a Thunder & Lightning.

• Reply to: Tying the perfect parachute hackle   1 year 8 months ago

the “perfect hackle” ... great video example and explanation.... many thanks

• Reply to: Hardy’s Salmon Flies   1 year 8 months ago

I would live to add this book to my collection, but I cannot find a retailer! Ug! Can anyone help?

• Reply to: Scissors for fly tying   1 year 9 months ago

David,

Most of the scissors covered in the article are very widely available, and should be particularly easy to get a hold of in the US! It's mostly us in Europe and Asia who have a hard time getting stuff... Sure, the ones from Romania are far away from the US (but unfortunately also discontinued now), but the ones from the UK should offer no problems. The rest should be available online or in shops in the US.

In the case of all of the brand name scissors there are links to either manufacturers or distributors, and I'm sure they can all supply names of resellers - brick and mortar or online - which you can use.

Regarding the points, there are several options. The razor scissors are basically all very thin in the points, but not all cut equally well close to the tips. It's best to test before buying if possible. The Squizzers are made for really fine work, and Loon's Ergo Arrow Point Scissors as well as the Renomed scissors are all very good in the tips.

Also remember that you can improve the tips your existing scissors by using the method shown by Wayne Luallen in the video Tool Tip: Sharpening Scissor Tips in our Tying Tips series.

I hope this helps.

Martin

• Reply to: Scissors for fly tying   1 year 9 months ago

What a great article but I wish some of them were available in USA. I tried some of the anvils and loons but the tips are surprisingly thick for delicate work. Any suggestions on a thin tipped (and pointy) pair that might be available in the states? I'm back to using a pair of MFC razors I picked up at a show until I can find something for my small ties.

• Reply to: Danica mayfly nymph   1 year 10 months ago

Excellent presentation. If I was a trout I would not be able to resist this offering. Thanks from down-under in NZ

• Reply to: Best way to tie a wooly bugger?   1 year 10 months ago

Lots and lots of different ways and variations to this fly. I chose the two most popular. As this version you suggest is a great option, it’s not the most common kind.

• Reply to: Best way to tie a wooly bugger?   1 year 10 months ago

Good evening,

And why not trying that one, with no chenille:

1- fix the brass/copper wire at the bend;
    2- fix the marabou;
    3- secure the strands of the crystal flash;
    4- twist the marabou feather and wrap it around the shank;
    5- fix the hackle at the head like in the video and then turn it around the body (they must cross at 45°);
    6- finish as in the video, ie, secure the hackle withe the wire.

This will create a more lively streamer than with the chenille, and you do not waste your marabou.

All the best,

Raphael

• Reply to: Vintage Streamers   1 year 10 months ago

Got to love these old streamer patterns, many from Maine! Like Cain's and all are nicely tied.

• Reply to: Shooting heads   1 year 11 months ago

Mark,

I have found most of what I have used in bargain bins or sold as mill end (discards) from flyshops. One place that still has stuff like this online, is First Tackle in the UK https://www.firsttackle.co.uk/acatalog/Prostream-Mill-End-Fly-Line---WF-...
    An intermediate WF line can be had for £6.-, which will form the base for a very fine shooting head at a really low price.

Surprisingly few of the well known manufacturers actually make intermediate DT-lines. Some have neutral or "hover" lines, which just barely sink, but most are WF-lines.

It's probably roaming the web and flyshop's bins that will unearth useful lines.

Martin

• Reply to: Shooting heads   1 year 11 months ago

Any suggestions in where to find intermediate DT lines?

• Reply to: IKEA Fly Tying Board   1 year 11 months ago

Brilliant! I love it!

I've been working on a flat top table and constantly have beads and "stuff" roll or slip off the edge (I tend to be messy). Your board with wells to keep hooks, beads or whatever contained is the perfect solution. I like the minimalist approach... readily available, inexpensive, simple, effective. Very nice!

I will go shopping for a cutting board and "steal" your idea. Thank you for sharing.

Kent Smith